Approximately 100 years ago, the area now known as North Buckhead was considered the hunting ground for the sportsmen of Atlanta. The Ivey family built a weekend or hunting lodge on what is soon to become "Old Ivy Crossing". How do you save a historic landmark and not impede progress?????
The familiar grey house at the intersection of Ivy and Old Ivy Roads was recently sold (for the token amount of $10) by developer Louis Reynaud to the Mayersons who are having it moved 2 driveways away. The process involves dismantling, moving the sections and reconstructing the house.
Front (L-R) Councilman Howard Shook, Samuel Mayerson, Leigh Mayerson, Louis Reynaud, and Scott Harrison
Back (L-R) Marty Albar & child, Gary Collins
Developer Louis Reynaud with Coy Mayerson
Click pictures to enlarge them
A team of professionals has been assembled to accomplish this daunting task:
The dismantling of the "Haven" is occurring currently, and the actual move should take place in several weeks. The entire process should take between four to six months.
Watch for our progress at "Old Ivy Crossing".
Thanks for your interest,
Coy and Leigh Mayerson
In Susan Kessler Barnard's wonderful Buckhead history book,
Buckhead: A Place for All Time, she reports:
"In 1877 Rial Bailey Hicks bought Land Lot 99 from his father-in-law, Henry Irby, for four thousand dollars, and when his children married, Hicks gave each child twenty acres of land. When daughter Mary Ophelia (1838-1933) married Seaborn L. Ivey in November 1878, they were given land on the present-day Ivey Road. When Alice Hicks married Seaborn's brother Russell, they were given land on what is today Old Ivey Road. The original spelling was later changed to Ivy." [page 53]
Barnard also says, "Later, Hicks became a schoolmaster and wore 'a tall hat and a swallow-tail, long-tail coat the schoolmasters wore in those days' ... Hicks built his home at the present junction of Ivy and Old Ivy roads, which in the 1920s became known as Atlanta Heights." [page 30]
The first quote is ambiguous regarding land lots -- Land Lot 99 is the western core of the Buckhead Village and is not part of North Buckhead.